Maybe it’s because I’m on my knees already, or maybe it’s because they’re really long and give me time to think in the midst of them, but during the bouts of yuck over the past day, my thoughts are mostly prayers, and really just two kinds: profound gratitude and longing for relief. In between desperate “Please let it stop!” prayers, I’m giving thanks for:
1) Hair elastics.
2) A clean bathroom, including a just-cleaned toilet and pristine bathroom floor.
3) What feels like an amazing ab workout and a much-needed day of low calorie intake in the middle of the holiday season.
4) My middle brother who offered to drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night, even knowing that he had to start work at 4.
5) That this flu struck after work (I couldn’t have made it home between bouts) and before small group.
6) That Jesus chose to take on flesh, living a life that probably included its fair share of vomit, participating in this world of illness, to rescue us.